Thursday, October 2, 2008

CH 3-4: Judging and Categorizing Others

CH 3-4: Is it possible to perceive others without in some way judging or categorizing them? If so, how? If not, how can we make the judgments we do make more fair?

I believe we make judgments on individuals everyday. We view others by both verbal and non-verbal symbols. For example, sometimes when I am driving I look at other people in theirs vehicles and try to guess what their life’s are like by what they drive, what they look like, their attitude behind the wheel, if their going home or out, etc. Most humans prefer to categorize people into groups to understand where everyone and everything fits in our society. And when something does not fit the culture pattern we look at that individual or object closer because it stands out. We may judge people and categorize them to gain a better understanding of what is similar and what is un-similar about the individual or object. There are some incidents when we do not even categorize the individual or object but we hear the opinion from other and make that opinion our own. Judging and categorizing may have its benefits, but this does not mean that every person or object will fit exactly into one category, but multiple categories at different times.

Have a blast this weekend!

Thanks,
Blondie

1 comment:

Reese said...

Hey Blondie, I definitely agree with you that we judge people on a daily basis. It is so easy to categorize people and make assumptions about them simply by the way they look and how they act.

I am glad to know I am not the only one who observe other drivers on the road and try to predict their life story. I love people watching so I often find myself sitting in a coffee shop just watching other people around me.

There is something fascinating about watching human interaction. Especially when there is mystery involved and you are trying to figure out what's going on.

I don't think that it is possible to not make assumptions or pass judgments on people. However, I do think it is a good thing to strive for.