Friday, October 10, 2008

CH 5: Nonverbal messages

CH 5: Have you ever been wrong about the meaning of someone’s nonverbal message? Describe what happened. How can people increase the accuracy with which they interpret nonverbal message?

Nonverbal and verbal communication can be ambiguous, which many of us experience everyday. For example, a few weeks ago I went out with my friends for dinner and was extremely tired but could not flake on girl’s night out. However, half way through the dinner one of my friends said out loud, “what is wrong with you?” There was nothing wrong with me but they noticed I was not all smiles and did not make as much eye contact as I normally do. I notice that even without me saying anything mean I looked upset with my friends. My nonverbal communication was saying I am upset, but verbally I had to address I was just tired. It was funny how quick my friends were to judge me for being upset just by nonverbal messages at the dinner table.
We can increase our accuracy of nonverbal communication by understanding that sometimes our nonverbal communication is talking louder then own words. Also, we has humans must remember that individuals do not always mean send off messages, which shows we must understand if the sender means to send the message or not. After taking many communication classes I found that being more knowledgeable and aware about how to view nonverbal and verbal communication between a sender and receiver could make each message clearer.

Have a fun weekend!!

Thanks,
Vanessa

No comments: