Thursday, November 6, 2008

CH 6: Filters

CH 6: Think about the filters you use to eliminate people from consideration as potential romantic partners. What characteristics or behaviors lead you to judge others as unattractive? Does Duck’s theory make sense to you? Have you ever eliminated someone by using sociological or pre-interaction cue only to reconsider them based on interaction and cognitive cue?

I believe everyone who is human uses filters when meeting anyone, especially when considering an individual as a potential romantic partner. I know when we meet someone and start to date that individual our friends also use filters when they meet their friend’s new boyfriend/girlfriend. With that said, I have used all the filters our textbook discusses in chapter six; everywhere from sociological to interaction cues. It’s funny because when I was showing my boyfriend this part of the chapter, he mentioned how I did use all these filter either through questions or looks about where our relationship may lead. After reading the chapter and speaking with my boyfriend I realized Duck’s theory makes sense because no matter what we as humans will use many filters in beginning of a relationship. I know I am somewhat of a judgmental person (I am working on changing this), however there are behaviors or characteristics that make people unattractive to me, for example, no eye contact, bad words, do not look clean or match their outfits, no future goals, hang with the wrong group of people and so forth. However, even with all the filters, I have for a romantic partner because filters can help a person realize what they are looking for in another person. Maybe that is where the saying ‘my better half’ came from? Lastly, no I have never eliminated potential romantic partner by using sociological or pre-interaction cue only to reconsider them based on interaction because I did not really date my first four years of college, which may have been because of my many filters.

Have an awesome weekend!

Thanks,
Blondie

No comments: